Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Betsy is Bored, Bored, Bored, Bored, Bored!- Rehearsal Notes From Justine

Betsy is Bored, Bored, Bored, Bored, Bored! is off to an interesting start!

I was able to watch a rehearsal on Monday night and enjoyed the fresh fun character interpretations beginning to emerge. The kids are well… kid- like; spunky, whiney and cute. Betsy is a girl who just can’t stay bored for long. She tries to act like a typical “tween”: moping, complaining and protesting that she has no imagination but she quickly finds herself completely engaged in her own brain’s crazy machinations. She’s helpless in her inability to stay bored! Her big sister is even less able to remain cranky and seems completely excited by slinky races and even washing dishes! Dad is adorable, funny and likeable in his efforts to be the perfect dad and have the perfect family while weathering a long rainy day and Mom is so sweet that when she has to be the bad guy (by sneezing…) we can’t be mad at her. Then there’s the cat…hmmm, catty and sassy, she may just be the most human of them all but I’m still not sure I believe in her…


My chat with director Amanda Thompson was lots of fun. She already knew what I was going to say and I already knew that she would, but I think we still managed to be quite productive in our meeting. For anyone who is closely following my blogs; yes I definitely feel like I’m getting to know her more and more. 

Can’t wait for next Monday when I get to see it again!

Betsy is Bored, Bored, Bored, Bored, Bored! runs October 16-November 21.

Justine Lambert
Artistic Director
The Looking Glass Theatre - www.lookingglasstheatrenyc.com


Follow us on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LookingGlassNYC
Find us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/TheLookingGlassTheatre?ref=ts
Follow our blog! http://lookingglasstheatre.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment