Monday, June 7, 2010

Notes from Justine-Forum Rehearsal 6/3/10

Notes from Justine
Forum Rehearsal 6/3/10

Another Wednesday another Forum rehearsal! Once again we have two highly diverse plays. Yet it seemed to me that both center on victimized female heroines. Now I’d bet you good money that both playwrights would argue with that word “victimized” and for some very good reasons. So, why are they victimized? That question came up in both discussions (perhaps not in so many words). I wonder if I’ll find out the answer in two weeks.

Leap Year by Kate Marks, directed by Ariel Francoeur, Featuring Mark Gordon, Brianna Kalish, Laura Killeen & Stacy Ann Strang was sharp, clear, abstract, absurd, vague, precise and touching. In a word; Kate Marks. Ariel, Gretchen and I had a lively discussion about everything ranging from acting to sound cues to the effect of aging on the energy of the soul. Sounds complex doesn’t it? So is the play, and yet only 20 minutes long. Oh, I almost didn’t mention the crazy multimedia aspect. Seems a large portion of the play I saw (in rehearsal it was all done live) will be video projection! I think it’s going to be super cool. If any group can handle this kind of technical challenge, this is the one.


Jane's Room by Monet Hurst-Mendoza, directed by Rebecca Lewis-Whitson, Featuring Rosemary Brownlow, Juan Carlos Diaz, Lindsay Dunphy & Noreen O'Neill is possibly a period piece, possibly a ghost story, possibly an abstract discussion on women being trapped. Also sounds complex doesn’t it? This 50-minute piece by a newcomer to our Forum has the luck of starring not one but two of our acting interns this season! The team and I had a long discussion, which was still going full steam when we were ever so politely interrupted by Do These Jeans Make My Butt Look Massive? needing to rehearse. On my way out, I had the chance to say hello to members of the cast of week one having their dress rehearsal. Whew, another busy busy night at Looking Glass.


Assistant director Gretchen Ferris was super helpful throughout the evening. I’m so glad to have had the chance to work with her.

I’m very excited that this week I get to see one of the first fruits of these labors come to the stage. I’m attending week one of the Writer/Director Forum tonight!

Justine Lambert
Founding Artistic Director

No comments:

Post a Comment